On Fred Allen's death in 1956, Random House book publisher co-founder and humorist Bennett Cerf became the anchor panelist who would usually introduce Daly. Get the best cultural and educational resources on the web curated for you in a daily email. at 25. [40], CBS announced in early 1967 that a number of game shows, including What's My Line?, were to be canceled at the end of the season. Expect the usual gender-based assumptions of the period, but also appearances byMary G. Ross, a Cherokee aerospace engineer, and physicistHelen P. Mann, a data analyst at Cape Canaveral. In July, 1959, along with the Associated Press writer John Scali, Daly reported from Moscow on the infamous Kitchen Debate between First Secretary Nikita Khrushchev and Vice President Richard M. Nixon. If all four panelists failed, each member of the team won an additional bonus prize. Every episode between July 1952 and September 1967 existed for a long time in the archive of producers Mark Goodson and Bill Todman, but some of these were lost in 1975. Stars John Daly Arlene Francis Bennett Cerf Steve Allen: Is it bigger than a bread box? Dollar signs for "no" answers were replaced by sequential numbers. (1950) officially released in India in English? The only time this version is shown on GSN is when a guest who appeared on this version has passed away and they want to do a tribute to that person. If the panelists got it correct on the first try, the audience members received $5 and a year's supply of Turtle Wax. Top Deals This Week: Save on Paramount+, Showtime, HBO Max, Fire TV, and Roku, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Is Now Available to Stream on Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Slashed Prices on all Sorts of Fire TV Stick Models, Amazon Fire Tablets on Sale: Save up to 45%, The Ultimate Streaming Guide for February 2023, 7 Shows to Watch if You Like The White Lotus, 8 Shows You Should Watch If You Miss Warrior Nun, 8 Shows Like Emily in Paris to Watch While You Wait for Season 3, 17 Shows and Movies Like Yellowstone to Watch Between Season 5 Episodes, Here's When Yellowstone Will Return for Season 5 Part 2, 1923 Finally Brings Death to the Yellowstone Ranch, Everything We Know About Yellowstone Spin-Off 6666 So Far, Harrison Ford Explains What Drew Him to Jacob Dutton in 1923, Yellowstone Star Cole Hauser Teases New Role in 1883: The Bass Reeves Story. Columbia Universitys Oral History Research Office. ET slot where it would remain until the end of its network run on September 3, 1967. Jack Barry, partner of Dan Enright, both of whom had taken falls in the quiz-show scandals of the 1950s, hosted the What's My Perversion? And for very good reason. Viacom and Goodson-Todman found themselves unable to secure contracts with enough stations to justify continuing to produce the program beyond the episodes that had been videotaped on or prior to December 12, 1974. Cerf also played a myriad of games with Daly's full name, John Charles Patrick Croghan Daly, reciting it correctly only a handful of times over the course of the series.[26]. (TV Series 1973-1974) - IMDb Episode guide 23 IMDbPro All topics What's My Line? Bruner, and later Blyden, would preface the demonstrations by asking Lloyd Gross, who directed most of the editions, "Lloyd, would you open the curtains, please?" Daly did not host the syndicated version of What's My Line?, although he did co-host a 25th-anniversary program about the show for ABC in 1975. Additionally, starting April 17, 1955, the panel stopped taking initial guesses. What's My Line? Always fun to watch. [4] New episodes have not been created for American television since December 12, 1974. Sometimes, two mystery guest rounds were played in an episode, with the additional round usually as the first round of the episode. Soon, other panelists were asking this question as well. Episode #195 (February 21, 1954) only exists among collectors as a second-hand kinescope, as the official kinescope is missing from the Goodson-Todman archive. [40][42] Meanwhile, the concurrent 19521953 Radio edition, at least during the CBS run, was heard live from CBS Studio Building 22 (49 E. 52nd St., NY). We find the free courses and audio books you need, the language lessons & educational videos you want, and plenty of enlightenment in between. The syndicated series ran for 1,320 episodes over seven seasons. Answer: Yul Brynner. TV Shows. It was seen by viewers from 1968 to 1975. Daly would then often fire back his own retort. [citation needed] Non-celebrities include the lifelong Los Angeles-area resident who challenged the panel with her line, afterward reminiscing how 43 years earlier she had traveled to New York, where Arlene Francis identified her as a meter maid. Four panelists must determine guests' occupations - and, in the case of famous guests, while blindfolded, their identity - by asking only "yes" or "no" questions. Mark Goodson, Bill Todman and (briefly) Johnny Olson appeared on-camera as well.[49][50][51]. 9. Many, but not all, episodes of the 1968-75 syndicated run were preserved and have been rebroadcast, since the 1990s, on several cable and broadcast networks, notably GSN and Buzzr. Later on, you get a sense of what playing a jolly parlor game with Mrs. Roosevelt would have been like. In September 1966, all three networks began broadcasting their prime-time schedules entirely in color television, including What's My Line? Lost segments include one in which panelists tried to determine that a contestant was a lawyer. There have been a dozen international versions, radio versions, and a live stage version. Many fans of the original version hated this; however, I still enjoyed watching the panel try to guess the occupation of different individuals as well as trying to figure out who the mystery guest is. An attempt at an eighth season did not get off the ground as not enough stations were willing to pick up the series for an additional year. He would also amiably chide the panel[25] if they began a conference without first asking him. Daly was the first national correspondent to report the attack on Pearl Harbor and the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt. Daly had received many letters over the years asking him to fill that role; until the finale he never could, because Daly served as the "emergency mystery guest", in case the scheduled celebrity failed to show on the live program. In addition to the television version, What's My Line? At the time of Blyden's death, a handful of new episodes of What's My Line? Allow us to kick things off on a Surreal Note with Mystery Guest Salvador Dali, after whichyou can browse chronological playlists as you see fit: Salvador Dal Gets Surreal with 1950s America: Watch His Appearances on Whats My Line? Complete episodes of "What's My Line?" in the order in which they originally aired Because playlists are limited to 200 videos, this one covers only the debu. Each panelist had 20 seconds to take those occupation cards to the appropriate contestant (the ones who they thought had that occupation). Get the best cultural and educational resources delivered to your inbox. It is on the list of longest-running U.S. primetime network television game-shows. aired on September 3, 1967; it was highlighted by clips from past telecasts, a visit by the show's first contestants, a challenger from the New York unemployment office, and the final mystery guest, who was John Daly himself. "Eyes on the Prize,", Steve Allen's birth name was Stephen Valentine Patrick Allen, while Fred Allen's birth name was John Florence Sullivan, Last edited on 12 February 2023, at 15:36, What's My Line (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), list of longest-running U.S. primetime network television game-shows, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex, "Oh, the Civility! Near the end of its run, sponsors would be introduced in the opening title and given commercials during the show, but would not be displayed on the set. panelist introduced the next in line at the start of the show. He assumed the position on September 20, 1967,[14] but lasted only until June 6, 1968, when he resigned over a claim that Leonard H. Marks, his superior at the U.S. Information Agency, had been making personnel changes behind Daly's back.[15]. Directed by Paul Munroe (1950) Franklin Heller (1950-1967) Frank Satenstein Paul Alter(1957-1961) Ira Skutch Lloyd Gross (1968-1975 syndicated version) Presented by John Charles Daly Wally Bruner Larry Blyden Starring Arlene Francis Dorothy Kilgallen Louis Untermeyer Hal Block Bennett Cerf Steve Allen Fred Allen Soupy Sales premiere - Ottawa Citizen, Sept. 19, 1978", "Gissa mitt jobb - 17/12 1960 | ppet arkiv | oppetarkiv.se", The Interviews: An Oral History of Television, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=What%27s_My_Line%3F&oldid=1138950790, Estanis Gonzlez and Juan Felipe Vila San Juan, This page was last edited on 12 February 2023, at 15:36. The show began as a live broadcast but during the last eight years many episodes were videotaped weeks or months in advance of their telecasts. lighting director (1 episode, 1968) Stan Alper. - Sophia Loren; Dick Clark [panel] (Jun 29, 1958)", Robert Trout discusses the CBS newscast of December 7, 1941, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=John_Charles_Daly&oldid=1141268540, 1955: Won, "Best News Reporter or Commentator"ABC, 1956: Nominated, "Best News Commentator or Reporter"ABC, 1956: Nominated, "Best MC or Program Host, Male or Female"CBS, 1957: Nominated, "Best News Commentator"ABC, 1958: Nominated, "Best News Commentator"ABC, 1959: Nominated, "Best News Commentator or Analyst"ABC. In 2000, a pilot was shot with host Harry Anderson for CBS, but was later turned down in favor of the reality show Survivor. Daly's closing line on the ABC newscasts was "Good night, and a good tomorrow." This was in addition to the maximum $50 (equal to $563 in 2021[36]) game winnings, which guests sometimes donated to charity. In May 1967,[12][13] during the final year of What's My Line?, it was announced that Daly would become the director of the Voice of America after the show ended. However, there was one weekly celebrity "mystery guest" for which the panelists were blindfolded. All original series shows were recorded via kinescope onto silver nitrate film, but networks in the early 1950s sometimes destroyed such recordings to recover the silver content from the film. Please find all options here. What's My Line? The game tasked celebrity panelists with questioning contestants in order to determine their occupations. Episode #048 from April 29, 1951, exists at the University of Wisconsin Center For Film and Theater Research. Occasionally Daly would amiably one-up Cerf if he felt the pun was of lesser quality. is the long-running panel game show where the celebrity panelists try to figure out unusual occupations of everyday people. - Hayley Mills; PANEL: Steve Allen, Joanna Barnes (Nov 28, 1965)", "List of Celebrity Guests from Stage version", "Fox TV Stations to Air Classic Game Shows From Buzzr TV's Massive Library - Hollywood Reporter", "What's My Line? lighting director / lighting technician (2 episodes, 1973) Jim Fitzgerald. From November 2004 to July 2006, Jim Newman and J. Keith van Straaten produced one-hour live stage versions of the show at the ACME Comedy Theatre in Los Angeles, California, titled What's My Line? However, despite frequent requests by the panel, particularly Arlene Francis, such demonstrations rarely occurred as according to executive producer Gil Fates, Daly was not fond of this practice.[32]. All rights reserved. [31], The program began with Daly and panel entering from off-stage as they were introduced. In 2016, episode #018, aired live on October 1, 1950, was discovered by a film archivist. As Daly occasionally noted, "Ten flips and they (the panel) are a flop!" After August 27, the program was then broadcast live on CBS Radio on Wednesday nights at 8:00PM for 10 months, concluding July 1, 1953. Episode #013 (August 2, 1950), episode #084 (January 6, 1952), and episode #855 (March 26, 1967) exist at The Paley Center for Media. They could also request a conference, in which they had a short time for open discussion of ideas about occupations or lines of questioning. (TV Series 19501967) - Trivia", "What's My Line? featuring a game show called What's My Perversion? But hell, I still enjoy watching the original Dick Tracy serials, so my critical judgment is highly suspect. A clip from the kinescope was played. [27] On more than one occasion, Daly "led the panel down the garden path" a favorite phrase used when an answer had proven misleading to the panelists. When the panelists couldn't make a show famous celebrities would take their place. their "line of work". Menu Movies Release CalendarTop 250 MoviesMost Popular MoviesBrowse Movies by GenreTop Box OfficeShowtimes & TicketsMovie NewsIndia Movie Spotlight TV Shows [citation needed] The first panelist would be introduced by the announcer following the show's introduction, and each panelist would introduce the next in turn, with the last introducing Daly. The first three seasons (19681971) originated from Studio 50, the home of the final year of the original series, but with a new, modern-design set. Release Calendar Top 250 Movies Most Popular Movies Browse Movies by Genre Top Box Office Showtimes & Tickets Movie News India Movie Spotlight. The producers considered the revival a merger of What's My Line? [4][22] In its early years, business suits and street dresses were worn by the host and panelists, but by 1953, the men normally wore black suits with bow tie (a few guests in fact wore black tie) while female panelists donned formal gown and often gloves. What's My Line? A Community Chest Special, completely separate from the regular production of episodes, was broadcast live on all the major networks (CBS, ABC, NBC, and DuMont) on the afternoon of Sunday, September 27, 1953. Comedian Bobby Van ended up hosting Showoffs. Bennett Cerf wrote that the network had decided that game shows were no longer suitable for prime time, and that the news was broken by The New York Times on February 14[46] before anyone involved with the show was notified. [9] The cast and crew began taking "Summer breaks" from the show in July 1961, through July 1967. These cookies do not store any personal information. Daly had always been the emergency mystery guest in case the scheduled guest was unable to appear on the live broadcast, but this had never occurred. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. The younger of two brothers, Daly was born in Johannesburg, South Africa, where his American father worked as a geologist. The show is now an authorized production as it is licensed by FremantleMedia, the owners of What's My Line?. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. [9] Daly stated that "the last straw"[10] that led to his resignation was the decision of the then-president of ABC, Leonard Goldenson, to bring in Time Inc. to co-produce documentaries that had previously been under Daly's direction for the network. + What's My Line? - Season 10, Episode 49: EPISODE #476", "Image: 33_April_14_1963_662, (640 299 px)", "First Breadbox episode. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); What would the host and panelists of the classic primetime television game showWhats My Line? [40] The last episode aired in black & white was taped on July 17, 1966, and the last episode to be produced there in black & white aired live on July 24. 1957: Won, ABC Television, "Prologue '58. A contestant won the top prize of $50 by giving ten no answers, or if time ran out, with Daly flipping all the cards. In the 196263 season, the program was in competition with Howard K. Smith's News and Comment program on ABC News. would be the last. At that time, the immediate concern of Mark Goodson and Bill Todman was that John Daly, anchor of the ABC network's nightly newscasts, would be allowed to visit Moscow to cover, in that capacity, a breaking news story. Revivals in the United States were proposed several times, but all of them failed to go past the planning stages. The series has been seen on Game Show Network[63] at various times. A bright, contemporary music package was composed by Charles Fox. Hosts of the syndicated version, Wally Bruner and Larry Blyden, were alive at the time but did not participate. New versions of WML were planned as early as 1981, then in 1996, the show was going to be revived by a joint venture between All-American Television and Miramax Films (which also would have been Miramax's first foray into television game shows) as it was being described as "a new model" that would have blended the original features such as having a celebrity panel question contestants in an effort to guess their occupation and also having the panel blindfolded to guess the identity of a famous person, with contemporary "special effects" and "interactive twists." While I havent YET had on major celebrities, I have had on YouTubers and authors. in Games, Music, Politics, Science, Television | July 30th, 2021 1 Comment. (TV Series 1950-1967) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. until 1967. Unlike its predecessor, the syndicated What's My Line? What's My Line? He did his post-secondary education at a junior college and graduated from Boston College. That practice continued until the beginning of the final season in 1974, when announcer Chet Gould began introducing the panelists and host Blyden at once, in a conventional fashion. Recorded in New York City, New York at the Grand Central Studios/CBS Studio 41 from February to March 1950, the Maxine Elliott's Theatre/CBS Studio 51 from April to December 1950, the Mansfield Theater/CBS Studio 59 from January 1951 to June 1960, CBS Studio 52 from June 1960 to July 1966, and . Other frequent guest panelists include Jack Lemmon, Tony Randall, Robert Q. Lewis and Phyllis Newman. Line's sister show, I've Got a Secret, and later, the syndicated version of WML engaged in the practice of contestants demonstrating their talents. Alpha Video released a DVD containing four episodes on February 26, 2008. Released by Prentice Hall in 1978, Gil Fates, the executive producer of the show, looks back over the quarter-century run of the series. The special eventually was broadcast by ABC on May 28, 1975, on the late-night series ABC's Wide World of Entertainment, and is currently available for viewing at The Paley Center for Media. What's My Line? What would the host and panelists of the classic primetime television game show What's My Line? Five-day-a-week syndicated update of the longtime CBS game show, wherein celebrity panelists guess occupations of the contestants. [29][30] The radio version is notable for the only appearances of Marlene Dietrich, Constance Bennett, and Marlon Brando. It was during the run of the syndicated version that Woody Allen parodied What's My Line? In late 1941, Daly transferred to New York City, where he became anchor of The World Today. [48], The 876th and final CBS telecast of What's My Line? [43], Episode #225 (September 19, 1954) was a color edition of the show, broadcast live from CBS Studio 72 (on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Broadway at 81st St., NY). moved from the Broadway studio to Studio 6-A at NBC in Rockefeller Center,[53] and the series remained there for the rest of its run, with a set redesign in 1974 for the final season. - Floyd Patterson; Vincent Price; Walter Pidgeon [panel] (Dec 16, 1956)", "CTV What's My Line? Following Daly's resignation, only one more episode of "Critique" was produced and broadcast, an April 1969 episode featuring The Doors as the musical guests. Too bad it is not shown on a regular basis anymore. Most notably, the mystery guests ran the gamut of show business' most legendary icons, including Jack Benny, John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Elizabeth Taylor, Ava Gardner, Joan Crawford, James Cagney, Julie Andrews, Jack Lemmon, Jackie Gleason, Steve McQueen, Alfred Hitchcock, Doris Day, James Garner, Ronald Reagan, Jane Russell, Rosalind Russell, Fred Astaire, George Raft, Edward G. Robinson, Gene Autry, Lena Horne, Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, Andy Griffith, Harry Belafonte, Ginger Rogers, Roy Rogers, Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, Sammy Davis Jr., Peter Lawford, Sean Connery, James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Salvador Dal, Aretha Franklin, and many more. Johnny Olson continued as announcer until a short time into the 197273 season, when he departed for California to begin his tenures as announcer of the revivals of The Price Is Right (which he continued to do until his passing in 1985) and I've Got a Secret (1972-73). The syndicated edition had two regular panelists for its entire run, with comedian Soupy Sales joining the returning Arlene Francis. Panelists adopted some basic binary search strategies, beginning with broad questions, such as whether the contestant worked for a for-profit corporation or non-profit organization or whether a product was alive, worn, or ingested. What's My Line? In addition, the panelists were simply referred to by name and only their first names were displayed in front of them. [citation needed] Later in the series, Daly would throw all the cards over with increasing frequency and arbitrariness (frequently to give a particularly interesting or worthy panelist the maximum available prize money), evidence the prize was secondary to game play. What's My Line? See production, box office & company info, NBC Studios - 30 Rockefeller Plaza, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA. While covering the Roosevelt White House, Daly became known to the national CBS audience as the network announcer for many of the President's speeches. [21] It ended in divorce in April 1959. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Are you related to anybody that has anything to do with Whats My Line? Cerf asks, causing Armstrong, host Daly, and the studio audience to dissolve with laughter. This pilot started with three panelists playing the Mystery Guest round; the guest would then be the fourth panelist for the remainder of the episode. [1][2], More than 700 episodes exist as kinescope recordings (filming a television screen in 16mm), which was the only way moving pictures and sound from spontaneous, unscripted television shows could be preserved on a long-term basis before the digital era. and its 1950s spinoff, I've Got a Secret, which resulted in noticeable changes from the original. After airing alternate Wednesdays, then alternate Thursdays, finally on October 1, 1950, it had settled into its weekly Sunday 10:30p.m. Full of surprises to hold a viewer's interest. Fretts, Bruce (June 17, 2013). won three Emmy Awards for "Best Quiz or Audience Participation Show" in 1952, 1953, and 1958 and the Golden Globe Awards for Best TV Show in 1962. By clicking Accept, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. (1968) officially released in Canada in English? ", This page was last edited on 24 February 2023, at 05:51. [citation needed]. [6] The series spawned a brief radio version in 1952 that was also hosted by Daly. The regular panelists were paid scandalous amounts of moneyas per publisherBennett Cerf, whose reputation as a nimble-witted gentleman-about-town was reinforced by his tenure onWhats My Line?, according toColumbia Universitys Oral History Research Office. It's all very 50's and classy and smart and good and worth watching. What's My Line? At various times, a regular panelist might take a vacation or be absent from an episode due to outside commitments. To support Open Cultures educational mission, please consider making a donation. [19], On December 22, 1960, Daly married Virginia Warren, daughter of thenchief justice Earl Warren, in San Francisco. In early 1975, with production on break, it became clear to staff that the seventh season of the syndicated What's My Line? In the 1960s and 1970s syndicated run, whenever there was extra time, a special game was instituted called "Who's Who." One of these interviews concerned What's My Line? What's My Line? Upon his departure, Bennett Cerf took over this position. soundstage has been lost to posterity.[28]. Daly began his broadcasting career as a reporter for NBC Radio and then WJSV (now WTOP), the local CBS Radio Network affiliate in Washington, D.C., as CBS' White House correspondent. In 1980, Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Productions, creators of What's My Line?, produced That's My Line which also highlighted the unusual occupations of ordinary people. [22], Daly died of cardiac arrest at his home in Chevy Chase, Maryland, on February 24, 1991, four days after his 77th birthday. If you find the convivial atmosphere of this seminal Goodson-Todman game show absorbing, there are757 episodes available for viewing onWhats My Line?sYouTube channel. Mystery guest rounds were no longer scored and simply ended with a correct guess or when time ran out. was Pat Finch, a hat check girl at the Stork Club. Four celebrity panelists try to guess the occupation of a guest by asking questions that result in yes or no answers. Daly later explained, after the show had finished its run on CBS, the maximum payout of $50 was to ensure the game was played only for enjoyment, and that there could never be even the appearance of impropriety. The contestant entered by writing his or her name on a small sign-in board. This was the time of year when production companies and syndicators would try to sell new and continuing series to local stations. During his tenure, Hal Block sat in the final seat and began the practice of introducing Daly with a pun. This predated the show's eventual move to color by 12 years. The first contestant on What's My Line? Publisher Bennett Cerf replaced Untermeyer as a regular panelist in 1951, and comedian Steve Allen replaced Block in 1953. After Kilgallen's death in 1965, she was similarly not replaced with a permanent panelist, and for the show's final two years, the panel consisted of Cerf, Francis and two guests. He also had several television and movie guest appearances from the late 1940s to the mid-1960s, including an uncredited role in Bye Bye Birdie (as the reporter announcing the title character's induction into the Army) and as the narrator, in a mock documentary style, on the premiere episode of the rural comedy series Green Acres. After Bennett Cerf's death in 1971, stations continued to air shows where he was a panelist resulting in confusion among some fans, who were seeing "new" episodes with Cerf long after hearing about his death. Yul Brynner said this memorable line in "The King and I". Dick Cavett, in an early television appearance in Fred Allen's vacated chair in 1966, noted that the mystery guest was probably wondering who Cavett was. and included audio from the mystery guest segment featuring Betty Grable from that now-lost episode. What's My Line?/Episode Guide. The regular panelists were under contract and were paid "much more," according to Fates. Also, the animated intro was done away with in favor of the show's announcer (usually Gould) offering a brief preview of one of the contestants' games. However, the show was developed as a reality show and had no panel or game elements. What's My Line? Bruner left the series at the conclusion of its fourth season in 1972, and Broadway actor Larry Blyden, who had already helmed several other gameshows and served as both a Line panelist and mystery guest in the past, stepped in at the beginning of the 19721973 season to host the remaining three seasons. He did hosting duties on Who Said That?, It's News to Me, We Take Your Word, and Open Hearing. He was a vice president at ABC during the 1950s. However, according to Miramax TV president Billy Campbell, the deal crumbled because the network decided the show was too costly and ambitious. kinescopes until July 1952, when Mark Goodson and Bill Todman, having realized it was occurring, offered to pay the network for a film of every broadcast. was then on competing CBS. He accepted and shot a pilot shortly after What's My Line? "What's My Line?" [66] Some are off-the-air home recordings of rebroadcasts. [19] They were married for more than 30 years, until Daly's death. [citation needed] After his father died of a tropical fever, Daly's mother moved the family to Boston, Massachusetts. Prime-Time schedules entirely in color television, including What 's My Perversion in.... Have had on YouTubers and authors a regular panelist might take a vacation be! Go past the planning stages sell New and continuing series to local stations been seen on show. Ensures basic functionalities and security features of the syndicated version, What 's My Line? /Episode guide New. I have had on YouTubers and authors CBS telecast of What 's My Line? /Episode.... Only includes cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website is on the ABC newscasts ``! ] New episodes have not been created for American television since December 12, 1974 on. Seen on game show called What 's My Line? /Episode guide, each member of the longtime CBS show! Resources on the ABC newscasts was `` good night, and the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt been dozen... Returning Arlene Francis Bennett Cerf took over this position, starting April 17, 2013 ) contract and paid... Lost to posterity. [ 28 ] South Africa, where he became anchor of the show, (! Was in competition with Howard K. Smith 's News to Me, we take Word. Airing alternate Wednesdays, then alternate Thursdays, finally on October 1, 1950 was. What playing a jolly parlor game with Mrs. Roosevelt would have been a dozen international versions, radio,! Name on a small sign-in board and Comment program on ABC News interviews concerned What 's My?. Competition with Howard K. Smith 's News to Me, we take your Word and! The occupation of a tropical fever, Daly was the time but did not participate or game elements on! Are you related to anybody that has anything to do with Whats My Line? `` night! The Stork Club since December 12, 1974 were introduced panelist in 1951 and. The younger of two brothers, Daly was the time of year when production companies and syndicators would try guess! Trivia '', `` Ten flips and they ( the ones who they thought had that )... ) officially released in India in English Film and Theater Research on 24 February 2023, at 05:51 first of! Show What & # x27 ; s My Line? /Episode guide but,! United States were proposed several times, a regular panelist in 1951, and a good tomorrow ''. Bigger than a bread box two regular panelists for its entire run, with what's my line? Soupy Sales joining the Arlene! New and continuing series to local stations 26, 2008 to outside commitments publisher Bennett Cerf Allen! Noted, `` Ten flips and they ( the panel ) are a flop! moved the family to,. Celebrity panelists try to guess the occupation of a tropical fever, Daly 's death panelists... - IMDb episode guide 23 IMDbPro all topics What & # x27 ; s My Line? not created! Please consider making a donation broadcasting their prime-time schedules entirely in color television, including What 's Perversion. Episodes on February 26, 2008, all three networks began broadcasting their schedules! Panel [ 25 ] if they began a conference without first asking him, was. 048 from April 29, 1951, exists at the time of Blyden 's.! Had 20 seconds to take those occupation cards to the use of all the cookies, three. Technician ( 2 episodes, 1973 ) Jim Fitzgerald which the panelists couldn & # x27 s... Daly transferred to New York City, where he became anchor of the syndicated edition had regular... Were paid `` much more, '' according to Miramax TV president Billy Campbell, panel... April 1959. [ 28 ] the episode News and Comment program on ABC.!, where he became anchor of the episode News to Me, we take your,! To local stations lighting director ( 1 episode, 1968 ) officially released India. Television, including What 's My Line? /Episode guide on YouTubers and.... 28 ] was during the run of the World Today and they ( the panel [ 25 ] they. Politics, Science, television | July 30th, 2021 1 Comment death of Franklin D. Roosevelt tasked celebrity guess..., causing Armstrong, host Daly, and a good tomorrow. regular panelist might take a vacation be... 1 Comment cards to the use of all the cookies dissolve with laughter Whats My Line? /Episode guide consider... The cast and crew began taking `` Summer breaks '' from the original Dick Tracy,. Amiably chide the panel ) are a flop! end of its network run on 3... From April 29, 1951, exists at the Stork Club cards to the use of the. At ABC during the 1950s TV series 1950-1967 ) cast and crew began taking `` Summer ''... My critical judgment is highly suspect and crew began taking `` Summer breaks '' from the.. 26, 2008 occasionally noted, `` Prologue '58 parlor game with Roosevelt. ( 2 episodes, 1973 ) Jim Fitzgerald the death of Franklin D... Year when production companies and syndicators would try to guess the occupation of guest... 4 ] New episodes of What 's My Line? /Episode guide how use! Panel [ 25 ] if they began a conference without first asking.. '' for which the panelists were asking this question as well Ten flips and they ( ones. That has anything to do with Whats My Line? sell New and continuing to. Jack Lemmon, Tony Randall, Robert Q. Lewis and Phyllis Newman ensures basic functionalities and security features of classic. Production as it is licensed by FremantleMedia, the program was in competition with Howard K. 's. July 1967 its 1950s spinoff, I still enjoy watching the original ] at various times, but all them. # x27 ; s and classy and smart and good and worth.! 24 February 2023, at 05:51 writing his or her name on small... Settled into its weekly Sunday 10:30p.m bonus prize during his tenure, Block. Episodes have not been created for American television since December 12, 1974 very 50 & # x27 t... Of all the cookies series 19501967 ) - Trivia '', `` What My... Whats My Line? /Episode guide television since December 12, 1974 Armstrong host... Developed as a geologist web curated for you in a daily email Daly 's closing Line on the list longest-running. Of rebroadcasts check girl at the Stork Club cultural and educational resources delivered to inbox... The University of Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research and they ( the panel stopped taking initial.... On September 3, 1967 and worth watching what's my line? the show in July 1961 through. More than 30 years, until Daly 's death next in Line at the time but did participate. 876Th and final CBS telecast of What 's My Line? are off-the-air home of. They thought had that occupation ) as a regular basis anymore music Politics! Including What 's My Line? much more, '' according to Fates of these interviews concerned 's... The Stork Club Film and Theater Research Daly was the first round of the classic primetime game. Basis anymore enjoy watching the original, South Africa, where his American father worked as a panelist... The website various times how you use this website from the mystery guest segment Betty... Film and Theater Research havent YET had on major celebrities, I 've a. In 1951, exists at the Stork Club Ten flips and they the. 21 ] it ended in divorce in April 1959. [ 28 ], was discovered by a Film.... Frequent guest panelists include Jack Lemmon, Tony Randall, Robert Q. Lewis and Newman! Panel ) are a flop! Soupy Sales joining the returning Arlene Francis directors, writers more. Tropical fever, Daly 's closing Line on the ABC newscasts was `` good,. Yul Brynner said this memorable Line in & quot ; seven seasons entire run, the! Cbs game show What & # x27 ; s and classy and smart and good and worth watching television. Boston, Massachusetts this question as well 23 IMDbPro all topics What & # x27 s... Telecast of What 's My Line? July 1961, through July.., where his American father worked as a regular panelist might take a vacation or be absent from episode... For American television since December 12, 1974 1951, exists at the start of the Today. And crew began taking `` Summer breaks '' from the original lost to posterity. [ 28 ] program with... Of a tropical fever, Daly 's mother moved the family to,. ] after his father died of a tropical fever, Daly 's closing on! Film archivist panelists try to sell New and continuing what's my line? to local stations additional round usually as the first of... Seat and began the practice of introducing Daly with a correct guess or when time ran out Phyllis.. They thought had that occupation ) Bruce ( June 17, 2013 ) more than 30 years, Daly... [ 63 ] at various times, but all of them failed to go past the planning stages show celebrities! Best cultural and educational resources delivered to your inbox Grable from that now-lost episode program began with Daly panel! Crew credits, including What 's My Line? /Episode guide weekly Sunday 10:30p.m and the. Writers and more July 1961, through July 1967 What playing a jolly parlor game Mrs.... Episodes, 1973 ) Jim Fitzgerald and I & quot ;, (.

What Are Two Examples Of Team Level Events, Articles W